Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Foreigner - by Francie Lin

Just finished reading this wonderfully written book. You can see the critical review here.
The first word came to my mind if I want to characterize this book is crafty. It is very visual to me. Scene after scene unfolding in front of me in fast pace, much like an action movie. Yet, every detail: the set, the atmosphere, the psychological state of the character, are not missed under Francie's wonderful writing. Urged by the tempo of her writing, I can't help turning pages faster and faster. I think I need to go back for the second round; this time go slowly to appreciate the detail of her writing.

Just wonder how well the book can be accepted by a person with no Taiwanese experience. I googled, and found all the reviews and the bloggers are equally enthusiastic about the book as me.

I always thought what a viewer receives by reading a work of art (yes, we do read paintings) is the combined result of the artists creative intention and the life experience of the reader. The book is categorized as a darkly comic thriller. I do not see much of comic there. To me, I feel a bit of an existential crisis in addition to the family, fraternity, conscience, cited on the book leaves of the cover.

I am very proud to say that Francie is my niece!!

No comments: