Friday, July 10, 2009

Tribute to Mark Rothko



In order to achieve a deeper understanding of what Mark Rothko wanted to achieve, I made this painting. It is done on a small (18x22) canvas using commercial enamel paint. I learned a lot from doing it. For example, I initially left more space around edges. Found that it does not feel the force Rothko had in his paintings. I feel more satisfied with the composition after I reduce the edges. I painted darker fringe in the lower part of the painting around yellow and reddish parts. That made the lower part more "resolved". But I decided to leave the upper part somewhat "unresolved". I think it creates more tension with this contrast in "resolveness". I found the enamel paint is quite good for layering. I will try a few more paintings with this type of paint and see what happens.

No comments: